Thursday 1 October 2015

Being A Computing Student And A Girl

As some of you will know i've just gone into my second year of university (which is why i haven't been as active as i'd of liked, sorry guys!). I study Web Design and Development.. and i'm the only girl in my class. No it isn't a big deal but in a department which is dominated by men it can be super hard sometimes. So i decided to write a post about what i want to do in the future and some tips to help people who can be pushed to the side lines, step out and be your own person. Basically, this is going to be one of my more chatty posts just keeping you all up to date.


In my first year all of the computing students were merged together like one happy family. That is until we all went on different pathways, which means my world is completely different this year. It's my first full week back and i do like it. People warn you and say your second year will be harder and they weren't lying. My work load is already more than i would have in 2 weeks and i've been there two days.

I don't have a problem with being the only girl in the class, apart from the few strange looks i get each lesson i do nothing but get on with it. Which in my opinion, is what i need to do now. Lecturers and people in the computing business are always saying they need more women in the computing world and i agree. Something so silly as being the only girl in a class full of boys shouldn't stop me, right? The teachers i have are super supportive and happy for me to be there, so the extra support is fab.

I have a meeting next week with one of the lecturers to discuss a year placement next year and i'm pretty hopeful that i'll get a good spot in a good company. I don't mean to be sexist, but boys (the ones i know anyway) are insanely unorganised and basically don't know what they want. Which means i will hopefully have the first pick out of the companies.

Here are some tips to help you get settled into your career area if you're feeling lost:

  1. Don't be afraid to ask for help.
  2. Get on with your work and don't get distracted.
  3. Don't be afraid to go the extra mile and try something new.
  4. Speak to new people.
  5. Take notes and try to remember everything that is valuable. 
  6. Use your personal time wisely. 
  7. Make sure you are organised.
  8. The last thing i would say to you all is, make sure you're happy because that's all really that matters.
I know this is a different post for me, i just wanted to share a piece of my world with you all. Have a wonderful day, until next time lovelies.

Love,
Danielle

2 comments:

  1. Being a computing student is probably so cool! I'd love to be able to create things and see it come to life on the computer. I know it's sometimes odd being the only girl in a class because I've had that experience. It looks like your experience is going a lot better than mine though. I was in a history class and I actually got some hate for being a female. It was really uncomfortable and sometimes I felt threatened just walking in. Anyways, I'm really happy your experience is better than that! Good luck in your studies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds horrible! I'm sorry you had that experience. Hopefully you have learnt a lot from it and are better now. Thank you for wishing me luck! All the best hunnie

      Delete